Thursday, June 28, 2007

Elephant Seals

We took Sep's friends Sammy and Laura to see the Elephant Seals at Ano Nuevo State Park last weekend. There were also sand dunes there. Who knew there were sand dunes in northern California? Here Sep impersonates an elephant seal or someone dying from dehydration:

I learned from the docent that there used to be Grizzly bears in the area. The Native Americans would control burn the whole area in order to make it easier to see them. Then supposedly the British came over and tried to colonize the area, and made the Native Americans stop burning the area. But then the grizzlies started eating all the British children, so the British left. I don't know if this is true but it was a good story.

I think it would be cool to see a grizzly and an elephant seal together, two giants of of the natural world. Elephant seals are huge and nasty looking. And they stink. But it is fun to watch them fight and bellow. Sammy said they sounded like a garbage disposal. Sep got mad when I tried to rub some fur that had molted off of one of the seals all over his face. No, I didn't do that, but I suggested that Sammy should. Then Sep got mad about that.

1 comment:

Erica said...

If you didn't know there were sand dunes in northern California, then my family and I have seriously NOT been doing our in-law duties. A trip to Point Reyess was the first thing that Tony did on his first visit to SF.